Sunday, September 14, 2008

Magnificent Testimonail to Priesthood

From Inside Catholic


All I Ever Wanted
Rev. John Jay Hughes

Particularly moving:

The Eucharistic prayer remains for me, however, the heart of the Mass. Seldom do I fail to be moved by the narrative of institution with the words of the Lord himself, "This is my body," and "This is my blood," which fascinated even Martin Luther. I recite the words slowly, with reverence and awe, slightly bent over paten and chalice, as the rubrics direct.
Does this help anyone? I cannot say. I know it nourishes me. No man ever longed more ardently for the arms of his beloved that I for that daily encounter with the Lord. Those precious moments with him, repeating his words, are quite literally the high point of my day. I recall them as I write these lines. I look forward to their repetition tomorrow.


and this:

I became a priest not to be with people, but to be, in a specially intimate way, with the Lord. I honor priests who experience this intimacy through pastoral ministry. I consider them my superiors: better priests, and better human beings. I experience intimacy with the Lord most of all at the altar. Ministering to people can be fulfilling -- but also frustrating. Not everyone wants what the priest has to offer. God always wants us. The worship I offer him at the altar is imperfect. Yet he never spurns it. And, for me, the offering of that worship never palls.

No comments: