Friday, December 12, 2008

Cardinal Dulles, R.I.P

Cardinal Dulles died today.

Through my teenage years and early 20's, Cardinal Dulles was forever in the press articulating the teachings of the Church without slinging any b.s. Every time I'd read him or hear him, I remember thinking what a whack job he was! At some point, the Boston presbyterate had become so nutty that it was obvious what they were teaching couldn't possibly be the truth and I went on my search to find the authentic deposit of faith, read it with an open and honest mind with the intention to want to know the truth - whatever it was.

Of course, I had long forgotten about Cardinal Dulles.

One day, many years after my enlightenment, I turned on the television to find Cardinal Dulles in rare form, on fire, setting dissent straight on some subject matter. I thought to myself, What in Sam Hill is going on...now I think like Avery Dulles!

He fought the good fight. Thank God for Cardinal Dulles and those like him who keep the seeds of truth alive in our conscience. Without them, we would be lost to God forever.

I can imagine the reception this faithful servant of God received on this Blessed day in Advent.

No comments: