Friday, March 27, 2009

Human Life International Decries Lack of Support from Vatican

It is no secret that pro-lifers over the years have been greatly burdened by the general lack of support by many of the members of our clergy on life issues, but until now, we have been able to rely on the various Vatican offices for a clear, consistent and correct defense of life.

Until now we could.

The more I think about Archbishop Burke's statement, the more I think it signals the gravity of the spiritual situation we have on our hands.

Archbishop Burke's job is to head the court of judicial court for the Canons. His 180 degree turn is another benchmark in the Mystical Body of Christ which travels along the same path of Christ Himself.

It wasn't that long ago we were in Gethsemene. We've moved along to the Last Supper and Judas and Peter are denying Christ. The rapid defections, at the most surprising levels, I think indicate we are quickly approaching the crucifixion of the Mystical Body of Christ.

We aren't there yet.


Two good, kind, loving women and guardian of souls sent me a couple of things I want to share:

Here's one:

"St. Paul teaches that it is God’s will that all should be saved. Heaven, then, is doing everything possible in this late hour to arrange the opportunity for the salvation of the greatest number of souls, as much as freedom permits within the paths that mankind has chosen."

Grab a hold of a good priest, a good Bishop, a good Cardinal and tether him to the Cross.

When you do, you'll get your own cross. And, from the people you least expected it from. Embrace it. Surrender everything it asks to do the right thing.

Have courage. Be outspoken, Pray, Fast.

If you can't turn the events around, warn the faithful in the public square...or get somebody else to do it if you don't have this kind of a fiat.

Grab a relative, a friend, a coworker, a neighbor, an acquaintance. Look for the opportunities to be a witness. You'll cross paths with the opportunities. Recognize them when you see them and cast the net. Subtly. Boldly, whatever the situation calls for.

It's up to you.

Yes YOU. Reading this.

Here's the other:

Be the squeaky wheel.

I used every excuse in the book to say no. I had no desire for a fight, and that is what there would be when Sr. T. passed on her amalgam of neo-Modernism, New Age, and universalism. She stopped asking, and I became complacent. Let someone else handle catechesis.

However, Sr. T. was becoming increasingly aggressive in her battle for the hearts and minds of the parishioners. Shortly before the beginning of the school year, I received the usual outline for Adult Formation. I almost tossed it into the round file unopened, but didn't. There was quite a surprise inside. For the Sunday after Easter, Sr. T. had invited the former priest, now the former paramour of the divorced wife of a parishioner, to be the guest formator for the whole parish. You read it correctly: This poor man left the priesthood to cohabit with the mother of two young children who sought counseling after her divorce, and he accepted an invitation to return to our parish as a guest. No more was needed to shock me out of my complacence: I was fully electrified.

I kept hoping that someone would pass a petition to change the program, or raise heck at the Parish Council meeting, or speak to Sr. T., or do something -- anything. I prayed for peace, I prayed for patience, I prayed for poor ex-Father. Occasionally, I managed to pray the Instant Gratification Prayer, the four little words that immediately obtain what we ask for: "Thy will be done." Even as I contemplated the damage that this man could do to consciences in this parish, I prayed for the restraint to stay out of the fray, as I am sharp of tongue, with combat in my blood. If I were to enter battle, there would be victory -- or death.

Ahem.

No. I didn't write that article.

There's a lot more where I came from.

A nun passing out condoms instead of Rosary Beads?

A priest with a pastoral promiscuity pride group?

A Cardinal hiring people to kill other people and telling Catholics it's ok to give pregnant women that phone number and your best wishes?

The Good Lord plants us down into the soil. Like Chia pets in a pot of water, thoughts start coming out or our heads until it's no longer possible to hold them inside.

No, this is not the time for cowardice, or political politeness.

Rise.

"The hour has come for the Son of Man to be glorified.
Amen, amen, I say to you,
unless a grain of wheat falls to the ground and dies,
it remains just a grain of wheat;
but if it dies, it produces much fruit.
Whoever loves his life loses it,
and whoever hates his life in this world
will preserve it for eternal life.
Whoever serves me must follow me,
and where I am, there also will my servant be.
The Father will honor whoever serves me. "I am troubled now. Yet what should I say?
'Father, save me from this hour'?
But it was for this purpose that I came to this hour.
Father, glorify your name."
Then a voice came from heaven,
"I have glorified it and will glorify it again."
The crowd there heard it and said it was thunder;
but others said, "An angel has spoken to him."
Jesus answered and said,


2 comments:

Mike said...

as Carol knows I'm exactly the same. Don't stop. If God form's you with big mouth stick with it. God knows what the Church needs. There are priests who leave the romm when I come in. I asked one one day. His answer I do not know what you are going to say to me. Your letters are embarrassing. Stick with it who else defends Him in your parish??

TTC said...

Mike,

Keep up the great work!