Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Archbishop Edwin O'Brien on Legion Visitation

AB O'Brien gave John Allen (at the theological morass/more ass at NCR) an interview on the subject matter of the Legion visitation.

What are the issues that the visitation should consider?

In the first place, they have to look at Maciel himself. What are the facts, who knew them, when did they know them, and why did it take so long for them to become public? They should look at the financial dimension. They also need to examine who the victims are, and what's being done to meet the needs of those victims.

Then, they need to look at the structure that Maciel created. There was a good deal of secrecy in his own life, and there's secrecy in the structures he created. It would be helpful to know why there is such secrecy.

You've been very public in your criticisms of the order. Why have you chosen to speak out?

I saw a lot of the Legion when I was in Rome, and I heard a lot about them back here in the States. When I came to Baltimore, I learned that [Cardinal William Keeler]had been dealing with them on a local basis for three or four years, asking for greater transparency, and basically got nowhere. Our priests were frustrated. When I told them that I would demand accountability and share the results with the priests' council, it got a very positive reception.

When word got out of what I was doing, I was surprised by the response. I've received some harshly negative reactions, but I've also had letters from all over the country saying 'Thank you, here's my story.' I got one just last week, from somebody who had been in the organization for seven years and left last week, saying how guilty they felt and that they're having nightmares. It seems to have such a hold on people, and we need to find out why. I don't know of any other organization that has created this atmosphere of suspicion. For their good, and for the good of the church, the full picture should be laid out.

All true. However, at this stage of the game, I don't see a penny's worth of difference between the Legion and the US Episcopal Conference.

Cardinal O'Malley is able to tell a bold-faced lie about hiring people to kill people, discredit truth and everyone and their Bishop, clams up.

A contract requires abortion referrals. Everyone at the Catholic Hospital is going to be required to describe abortion, be supportive, instructive and hand out phone numbers and the Commonwealth and Caritas has promised to monitor conversations to ensure compliance with the abortion referrals. Nobody in the Catholic Conference is Bishops, the Nuncio and the Vatican will stop the man or speak out in public about the corruption.

How could anybody have any kind of trust that raping children is something that would be treated differently than killing them? Unfortunately, the cult mentality is alive and well in the Catholic Church and it is hardly limited to the Legion..

Obedience is the last refuge for the wicked

If the shoe fits, wear it.

8 comments:

CatholicRevert said...

I'm so glad you're still bringing up the subject of what Cardinal O'Malley's going to do about Caritas Christi abortion referrals.
Good grief: it's been more than a month since he said he'd ask the National Catholic Bioethics Center for an opinion and no word yet? Let's not let this one get swept under the rug. Let's continue to post questions to him at www.cardinalseansblog.org.

TTC said...

Stay tuned in the next few weeks as the heat gets turned up. Prolifers have no intention of letting this one get swept under the rug. If the Cardinal wants to lose what's left of trust and his reputation, so be it.

Yeah, no word on the opinion from the NCBC. I find it impossible to believe the good people at the NCBC will be willing to "assure" the Cardinal he can set the national stage for the government to force Catholics to hand out proabortion materials and phone numbers. But, he does sit on the Board of Directors and funds the NCBC - so we're about to see just how corrupt the system is.

TheLastCatholicinBoston said...

A few thoughts...
The Catholic 'Cult' atmosphere I believe is
created when there is a natural and strong desire for orthodoxy (or a rightly ordered 'system') and there is no outlet or way to quench this just desire. People of good will get 'sucked in' because of genuine hope on their part and a structure or system that offers a 'solution' for their desire for orthodoxy. If the solution offered is not based in obedience to the magisterium, if leadership is not seeking true virtue, if the system has become an earthly kingdom then things go wrong. Fr. Corapi called Boston "Ground Zero in the Culture of Death", Fr, Benedict GROESCHEL mixed no words about the boston katholic theologians and lawyers who wrote the arguments that led to the execution of Terri Schiavo. The so-called crisis in the Boston church continues to roll - It is a lack of obedience, orthodoxy, order and virtue. I have 'infiltrated' nearly every catholic movement and am well versed in their methods, pitfalls and successes. I've traveled the world with the Legion and Regnum Christi, I've stood at the Bar with the K of C, I've sung to the early hours with Fr. Tom and the Charismatics, I've served soup to the hungry with old school clergy, I've rattled the beads with the Medjugorje crowd and I've stood outside the abortion mills with faithful remnant. I am the Catholic 'familiar face' and what I find most surprising of all...I have arrived; at the direction and guidance of Benedict XVI; at the Latin Mass.

The fact that we now refer to 'Prolifers' as a Catholic - sub-group in Boston is indicative of true apostasy. (or loss of the faith) Make no mistake your genuine 'feelings' about the Caritas abortion connection is not a feeling at all. It is a discernment of the facts at hand.

Please keep the issue alive on this blog.

If its helpful think of 'Joe the plumber' who has to occasionally clean the drains at Planned Parenthood because they are clogged with human bones.

May God have Mercy on Boston.

TTC said...

LCIB,

You're so right. Had a good laugh at your journey. Been there, done that. Local priests running the heterodox reputation are foolish to believe we'll cart our children in front of them to led into temptations from their big tents. One too many days of "Mom, so and so at the Church said it's "ok" to _______(insert heresy), you must be wrong. I really pray the Novus Ordo. Deeply, mystically. The few times I went to the Latin Mass I found myself distracted and not knowing when I was in Golgatha or the Last Supper. I'm sure it takes getting used to and everyone tells me the homilies are to die for.

There's a protest coming up on the Caritas matter and some other sundries. Please email me at cmmckinley@aol.com.

Don't worry, if the Cardinal wishes to make himself known for what he's operating, I consider it an honor to warn the faithful.

TheLastCatholicinBoston said...

I don't grit my teeth or roll my eyes ever at the Latin Mass, I regularly did at the Novus Ordo. I have been known to nod off, and on a good Sunday I follow about 30% of the Latin missal, but I'm trying.

Is there a plan for the Men and woman's Catholic Conference?

The fact that there is a very active abortion mill about a mile away from BC Conti forum that will have 3-6 'pro-lifers' standing outside when the dioceses collects $40 from 1500+ retirees for a orchestrated feeling session - makes me want to scream!... or offer it up in the silence of the Latin Mass.
anyway, I'll email ya.

TTC said...

Grit your teeth, roll your eyes - yeah...how about blood pressure elevated, steam coming out of your ears and walking out?

There's a different atmosphere in the Latin rite. Everyone knows they can't always believe what they think and they need a Savior. In the N.O., they're brains trump the Holy Spirit and it's all Deepak Chopkra. Sadly, it's not a place to worship God, they're worshiping themselves.

Do drop me an email...

TTC said...

p.s. explain the below..

The fact that there is a very active abortion mill about a mile away from BC Conti forum that will have 3-6 'pro-lifers' standing outside when the dioceses collects $40 from 1500+ retirees for a orchestrated feeling session - makes me want to scream!...

TTC said...

I emailed you back but it bounced. AOL is getting fussy these days and is bouncing content.