Saturday, August 29, 2009

Our political adversary is on his way to his final resting place

His son Patrick said his dad was far from a perfect man but he believed in redemption. The priest with him in his final days on this earth described the solace Ted and Vickie took in the Eucharist. His family, friends described the precious time spent in these last few years with him, putting closure on things that needed closure, teaching and just enjoying each other. Something each of us hopes for..

I feel for this family - for his wife, his colleagues and those who loved him and described the wonderful presence he was in their lives.

As a Boston Catholic who grew up in Irish Catholic Boston and a lover of politics and fighting for the civil rights and things we believe in for our country - I laughed, cried, prayed that Mass with zeal for all of us.

Many times, the readings referenced the reading for I was hungry and you fed me, thirsty and you have me drink, naked and you clothed me, sick and you cared for me, in prison and y9ou visited me. The Democrats never get that when you legislating killing people - you can do none of these things to them or for them. Killing people, especially children, cries out for justice. It's reprehensible. As a country we don't balance whether murderers are visiting the food pantry when we seek justice for the crimes they commit. As a country, we've got to stop giving people license to kill other people. Until and unless we do, our country is forever destined to be torn apart. There's no basis for authentic reconciliation with these atrocities being advanced legislatively.

How we make our political adversaries see this, I just don't know. Today, I'm simply profoundly sad at the state of affairs that prevents us from getting it through their heads.


No comments: