What makes this action so despicable, is that it is a deliberate shot across the bow of people who have been reporting the corruption he refuses to take action upon. It says go bleep yourself.
This is not the first time Cardinal O'Malley has resorted to this passive-aggressive response. He is a pro at it. In fact, he did the same thing six months ago, after a dossier was delivered to him on the devastating career and tenure of Fr. Bryan Hehir. He even called in a chit from Rome to have Fr. Hehir 'honored'. Rome played along.
When Cardinal O'Malley and his administration promised the Commonwealth that they would provide abortions and made good on that promise by contracting abortionists and driving the women there, pouring millions of dollars into their own pockets -- we made sure Rome knew every detail. And, not just about the fact that they appointed a Cardinal who would go so far as to facilitate murdering children -- we had a long list of how they were lying about it, how they were using their PR machines to lie about what they were doing and slander people who were publishing factual information.
Even when it comes to lying about the profits they want to make murdering children, the Holy Father will continue to find favor with that Cardinal.
It pains me to say it, because I love the Holy Father. But, I love Christ and His Church and salvation much, much more and so I find that I must say it.
The people in the Chancery know they are positioned to do just about anything without being stopped, and they take full advantage of it.
How this dynamic, how they all turn a blind eye, manifests itself when it comes to abusing children is further revealed in the documents released about Jesuit Fr. McGuire.
Our friend Maria has highlighted in the comments section what the Jesuits knew and when they knew it - and what they did about it.
Specifically, the documents and testimony in this case
show that by the end of 2002, the Jesuits knew:
(1) that there had been allegations involving McGuire's interactions with the son of
a family in Gennany and that McGuire subsequently brought the son to live
with him at Loyola Academy;
(2) that McGuire had "much relations" with several boys in Europe;
(3) that Austrian police had investigated McGuire's relationship with a kitchen boy
in Innsbruck who had travelled extensively with McGuire;
(4) that had been repeatedly abused at Loyola Academy, including
that Fr. Schlax had sent Loyola Academy officials a letter indicating that.
had called McGuire a "pervert" and had also made similar allegations during a
meeting between Jesuit officials and Fr. Schlax;
(5) that Fr. Reinke from Loyola Academy had reported several serious concerns
about McGuire, including that he allowed his "friends" to sleep overnight in his
(6) that McGuire had been accused of having inappropriate interactions with
students at the University of San Francisco;
(7) that McGuire's faculties in Los Angeles had been tenninated;
(8) that Jesuit officials had consulted with an expert on pedophilia about McGuire;
(9) that in 1991 Brother Palacio had reported that he was "quite suspicious" of
McGuire's behavior towards a 16 or 17 year old boy travelling with him;
(10) that Fr. Fessio had reported in 1993 that McGuire had been traveling with
young men, including one with whom he was taking showers, reading
pornography, and masturbating;
(13) that the psychological evaluations of McGuire indicated that he had a sexual
(14) that a Jesuit assisting with the evaluation of McGuire in 1993 had concluded
that McGuire had "grave moral problems";
that the Jesuits had received a report from mother in 1994
indicating that _ lived with McGuire while a student at Loyola in the
1960's and that he would cry when she asked him about McGuire;
that John Doe 130's mother had called them in 1995 to report on her suspicions
regarding McGuire and her son, and had also told McGuire to leave her son
(17) that in January 2000 the Jesuits could not issue a "letter in good standing" for
McGuire because of the information that had been received about his behavior;
(18) that, throughout the late 1990's and early 2000's, McGuire had utilized the
services of several teenage boys as "aides" who assisted him both day and
night, spent considerable time with him at Canisius House in Evanston, and
travelled extensively with McGuire;
(19) that two different families whose sons had served as McGuire's aides wrote to
the Jesuits in 2000 to express concems about McGuire;
(20) that McGuire might have been the legal guardian of a 16 year old boy, John
Doe 116, who was extremely close to McGuire;
(21) that McGuire was travelling to India with an "aide"~) in late 2000, in
clear violation of the "Guidelines" imposed upon him by the Jesuits;
(22) that in july 2001, Jesuit Marc Andrews reported suspicions about McGuire's
(23) that in July 2002, McGuire was scheduled to give a "special retreat" to minor
(24) that McGuire was traveling with a "high school boy" (John Doe 116) III
(25) that several Jesuits had made reports about McGuire's "personality" problems;
(26) that McGuire had ignored four different sets of Guidelines placed on his
behavior by various Jesuit Provincials in 1991, 1994, 1995, and 2001, each
time requiring yet more restrictive limits to be placed on his behavior (which he
continued to ignore).
They can get away with murder. Literally. They can even position themselves to make a profit off of it. And there is nobody over in Rome who will say - "Gee, here's a guy who contracted with the state to drive children to be executed for a lucrative contract, turned a blind eye to it and then lied about it in the public square. Tormented the people who were making the facts known. Perhaps whatever he has wrong with him makes him untrustworthy and we should find a nice position for him somewhere else serving the poor in a village in Africa."
The crocodile tears about how sorry they are that the system is broken really does not move the people here in Boston. When they flop themselves onto the floor in a dramatic show about how sorry they are, and they wash people's feet -- and the cameras are rolling to capture how much they 'care' -- all I see is the Pope's traveling circus. The meaningless gesture is self-serving.