Saturday, May 7, 2011

Never a Wish Better than This, When You Only Have a Hundred Years to Live


An astute and moving reflection from somebody victimized by the 'feminist movement' called "Craving Burnt Toast on Mother's Day":

Fortunately, some modern-day moms feel increasingly uneasy as the months wear on, and, before long, they see the truth: The accolades at work are fleeting, while the memories of motherhood last forever.

Far be it from me to say I've never fallen to a foolish philosophy, but buying into the genre that women are undermined by the vocation of motherhood was thankfully not one of them.

I have always been driven to be the best mother I could be. As young as I can remember, I observed mothers around me, and stored their best practices in my memory bank. I read everything I could get my hands on at every stage of their development.

As my faith grew along with my vocation...maybe it's more accurate to say as Christ beckoned me home to my faith with my vocation... I pursued the Deposit of Faith to fortify my skills as a Catholic mother.

I sometimes read with with the belief I could debunk It! To my surprise, I was instead converted.

But even when putting mothering above everything else, juggling all of the balls in the air is an imperfect science. We carry the weight from the balls that fell or the few train wrecks along the way.

As our children age and harmful things beckon them, our job becomes a search and rescue and recovery mission.

Just about the time we hit 40, we have the epiphany... our mothers were right.

We do the best we can and sometimes, it isn't enough. Toast burns. Hearts break.

We love and win. We love and lose. We love and learn. We love and live.

Every day is a new day.

I am so grateful for all the mothers who taught me along the way to Christ. Especially, Our Blessed Mother.




Happy Mother's Day!


No comments: