Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Quote of the Day

"Carol, if you don't leave this post up, then you're nothing but a coward who values tribal allegiances more than the truth. "

Well, I'd be willing to bet the Chancery is filled to the rafters with people who'd like to get a crumb of my cowardice. They could use the rest. In fact, I could use the rest myself.


There have been plenty of days when I read about the chicanery of bishops and say "Carol, what you need is some fear and inertia. Think of all the extra time you'll have on your hands. You could go to the gym. Read more. Take a bubble bath. Clean out the closets and the cellar. Clean your car. Take down your Christmas wreaths."

I've never been able to get anywhere near fear and inertia. It takes an army of angels, and a whole lot of prayer in a state of grace to just temper my reaction. That's as close as I have ever been to fear and inertia. Frankly, I think cowardice is afraid of me.

No pun intended.. but I'm afraid you've got the reason I keep deleting your comments, all wrong.

The reason I delete your comments is because you find a way to use the personal flaws of Catholic Bishops to mischaracterize true discipleship in Christ as outside of the Catholic Church and Christ's Sacraments. You are deluding and consoling yourself because you despaired and walked out on Christ and His One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church and the price of our salvation - the Sacraments.

I have exhausted every avenue. People spent a great deal of time in the comments section talking to you. I reached out privately to speak with you, encourage you to return to the Sacrament of Confession and spiritual guidance under the guardianship of a Catholic priest. When you continued to portray 2000 years of Sacraments, Saints, the Deposit of Faith and the spiritual and corporal works of mercy as non-existent - and in their stead, mischaracterize the Mystical Body of Christ as corruption to flee, I warned you about the intellectual and spiritual consequences of tailspin from blasphemy. I asked you to stop posting here because I am incapable of patronizing you as you delude yourself and I felt the matter was moving into the sinful waste of precious time. Everything had been tried and said. Asking you at least a dozen times to stop posting the fruit of your bitterness and confusion was an exercise in futility. Ergo, I resorted to deleting your posts. I have learned that by deleting posts of people wasting our time, they learn they are wasting their own time, and they eventually move on.

The contributions of hundreds of thousands of athletes are not caricatured by what happened at Penn State. There are millions of men who will gather around the television set to watch football. They will applaud the gifted men who have worked hard to develop their talents. You won't find anyone cruising football fan blogs saying football is about breeding pedophiles and corruption.

There are millions of people who play golf, in spite of Tiger Woods. You won't find anyone cruising golf blogs to caricature it as breeding violent adulterers. The talents of gifted golfers are respected and emulated.

Reporting misfeasance and malfeasance of a couple of hundred Bishops in our 2000 year history and seeking justice is one thing. Capitalizing on it to make excuses for one's abandonment of Christ's Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity is entirely another.

I'm not going to host people on a crusade to caricature Christ's Church the way you do. I'm sparing Christ. I'm sparing my readers. I'm sparing myself. The time we all would spend responding to your comments is much better spent saying a Divine Mercy Chaplet.

There comes a time when you hand something over to God. We are not called to be successful, we are called to be faithful.

This is why I am deleting your comments.

I repeat what I have been saying to you all along: It is my advice that you stop misleading Catholics and other Christians and return as a repentant son to seek the Mercy of Christ through Sacrament of Confession. There is no other venue for Mercy for a Baptized Catholic. Sincerely, sit yourself in front of the Eucharist in a state of grace. Immerse yourself in the writings of Catholic Saints.

I wish you the best and you have our prayers.

8 comments:

Jack O'Malley said...

I'm not sure whose comments you have deleted. But I think it might be Joseph D'Hippolito's. He attacks the bosom of Holy Mother Church on other sites as well. Not just the post-V2 Church but the whole Tradition. That is to be condemned. Let him present his arguments in his own blog or whatever forum he chooses.

But the Mystical Body is still just that, though despoliated of its traditional Beauty, which remains as merely the cinders of a once glorious fire that inflamed the hearts of generations of the Faithful. But even the cinders have the warmth of the Truth of the Faith.

I hope (if I am right) that Joseph will be reconciled to the Church.

God bless you, Carol. You are an apostle among the modernist heathen. May the Truth of your Faith sustain you and your family. And may we all derive our Eucharistic sustenance from Our Lord and His Blessed Mother to whom you witness without stint always. May the Cardinal Archbishop of this diocese lead us all against the insidious forces that beseige us on all sides from the godless secular government in our own country to the murderous Mohammedans abroad.

TTC said...

Jack,
Amen to those prayers.

Yes, it is Joseph. When you are deluding yourself, the slam dunks on the Catholic Church are much easier if you troll comments sections of blogs.

When you have a blog, you reveal who you are, what you are about. Your purpose in writing about the Catholic Church manifests itself.

If Joseph had a blog, everyone would know his agenda is to bash the Mystical Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity of Christ. To paint the allegiance and devotion to Christ's Living Body as perverted religiosity. To promote a schmogasboard of uncatechized and separated and Catholic Church bashers as Christ's symposium for worshiping Him.

The sneakiness of what he is doing is how his gig survives inside of himself.

One of the most prolific fruits of sin is how our animus develops shield strategies from facing who we are, what we have become, what we are doing. Shield strategies are masking deep hurt and pain.

There are lots of Catholics on the internet who are willing to let their readers swim in the rivers of pain and suffering, separation from Christ. Try patheos. She is willing to host wicans. I can't do it here. There is only I think I am terrified of - hurting and displeasing Christ. I'll never know how much it cost to see my sins upon that cross. I have too much on that plate already to use a blog to warehouse more sins of omission.

Anonymous said...

Catechist Kevin says:

Dearest Carol,

You are - how should I say this? - such an incredible example of Christian charity!

The more I read your postings - the more I am convinced I will never hold a candle to the way you formulate your thoughts about the goings on in Mother Church - and about the miserable sinners that we all are (and you so humbly include yourself in that!).

In other words - you are a helluva writer!

I think Mr. O'Malley's response was perfect.

What you wrote reminds me of St. Paul in his first epistle to the Corinthians (and about the man who was living with his father's
wife):

"And you are puffed up: and have not rather mourned, that he might be taken away from among you, who hath done this deed. I indeed absent in body, but present in spirit, have already judged, as though I were present, him that hath so done, In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, you being gathered together and my spirit, with the power of our Lord Jesus.
To deliver such a one to Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of our Lord Jesus Christ. Your glorying is not good. Know you not that a little leaven corrupteth the whole mass? Purge out the old leaven, that you may be a new paste, as you are unleavened. For Christ, our Pasch, is sacrificed. Therefore let us feast, not with the old leaven, nor with the leaven of malice and wickedness, but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth." (1 Cor. 5:2-8)

Some would say St. Paul excommunicating such a man was uncharitable.

Not so!

He's delivering "such a one to Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit (of the excommunicated) may be saved in the day of our Lord."

*That* - is charity.

Catechist Kevin

Liam said...

Just by way of background: Mr JH's history at St Blog's goes many years back; as I recall, a lot of his dyspepsia about the Church started with the development of its teaching about capital punishment, which development appalled him to the extent that the Church had lost all moral credibility thereby.

TTC said...

Kev, Thank you (and Jack) for the encouragement. Kev, I could never match your eloquence and knowledge of Scripture and Catechesis. Jack, nor could I match your knowledge of history and Deposit of Faith and your vocabulary. I am forever in awe of how each one of us are designed so differently and how it all comes together to serve the Mystical Body of Christ. As Popeye and St. Paul once both said - I am who I am - and your citation from Scripture about the charity of truth - and love - nails it. What good is keeping a blog or a reader if it sacrifices the unification of that soul to Christ?

That's the kind of charity they will meet in hell. That temptation is an easy one for me to avoid. (Others, no so much!)

Liam, interesting you should remind us of that. Part of personal discussion with people who claim the teaching of the Church on Capital Punishment is flawed is trying to get to what teaching they really oppose, because this one - to me - is always a secondary symptom of the disease. I ask pointed questions about fidelity to teachings on contraception, sexual ethics, remarriage outside of the Sacraments...to cut to the chase, to see if I can refer them to the documents and discussions that provide the wisdom of the Church.

100% of the time, they either reveal the major problem or they refuse to answer questions about the fidelity to these teachings. The former, gives us the opportunity to enlighten. The latter makes clear the person is being intellectually dishonest with himself and with you and after trying, there comes a time to let hand it over to the flesh, knowing you've done all you can do to enlighten.

Joseph chose the latter.

KLM said...

Just checking on you, Carol.

Great post! Me? I would have just said, "Go away, boy. Ya bother me."

(W. C. Fields)

Seriously, you are to be commended. I tend to lose my patience rather quickly.

God bless!

TTC said...

KLM, Thanks for checking in. I'm not so sure what I said wasn't exactly the same message as WC!

servo said...

Oh, Joe... I remember him from a few years back. Really tiresome character, think the abuse scandal was his one of his obsessions back then. He needs to get off the internet and get his own act in order.