Sunday, August 13, 2017

He went up on the mountain by Himself to pray.


Seems I am always trying to discern God's call with something every time today's Gospel comes in sequence. And the bad part is, each time I realize I'm not listening. I want God to want what I want. My prayer life is mostly pitching Him my thoughts on why I think this or that outcome is desirable.

I was tossing a few life situations back and forth in my mind yesterday and felt the desire to go to adoration. I talked myself out of it by convincing myself I needed to continue with chores. I got the chores done but didn't come to any conclusion about which trajectory to take in the various situations.

Two things always jump out at me from this event in the Life of Christ.

First, even Christ needed silence to communicate with and hear His Father!

After he had fed the people, Jesus made the disciples get into a boat
and precede him to the other side,
while he dismissed the crowds.
After doing so, he went up on the mountain by himself to pray.
When it was evening he was there alone.

and the need for trust and faith:

Peter got out of the boat and began to walk on the water toward Jesus.
But when he saw how strong the wind was he became frightened;
and, beginning to sink, he cried out, "Lord, save me!"
Immediately Jesus stretched out his hand and caught Peter,
and said to him, "O you of little faith, why did you doubt?"
After they got into the boat, the wind died down.

"You of little faith, why did you doubt?”

We are so blessed to have Christ's Body and Blood in Repose. The place where St. Basil described angels standing around the altar with their heads bowed, their faces covered, their hands crossed and their whole body inclined as to express the deepest sense of their own unworthiness. Our place to hear our Lord, draw the answers.

Come and I will show you the bride, the wife of the Lamb. So in the Spirit he carried me away to a great high mountain and showed me the holy city of Jerusalem coming down out of heaven from God. It shone with the glory of God; it had the radiance of some priceless jewel, like a jasper, clear as crystal. It had a great high wall with twelve gates at which were twelve angels; and on the gates were inscribed the names of the twelve tribes of Israel. There were three gates to the east, three to the north, three to the south and three to the west....I saw no temple in the city; for its temple was the sovereign Lord God and the Lamb. And the city had no need of sun or moon to shine upon it; for the glory of God gave it light and the lamp was the Lamb. By its light shall the nations walk, and the kings of the earth shall bring into it all their splendor. The gates of the city shall never be shut by day - and there will be no night...He who gives the testimony speaks; Yes, I am coming soon! Amen. Come Lord Jesus! The grace of the Lord Jesus be with you all. Apocalyse

1 comment:

Mark Docherty said...

Our homily the past two weeks has been about the need to make regular, scheduled, weekly adoration a reality in our lives. I'm so bad at it. But we were told that within just a few weeks, the fruits of this devotion will be obvious and life-changing. Before I started the daily Rosary, I used to hear people say that about the Rosary, not quite knowing what to think. But they were right then, and I'm sure the same is true about adoration. So I'm going to try.