Wednesday, August 24, 2016

The Gift of Understanding (A terror of demons!)

The Gift of Understanding: The infused gift of the Holy Spirit given to the mind for grasping revealed truths easily and profoundly. It differs from faith because it gives insight into the meaning of what a person believes, whereas faith, as such, merely assents to what God has revealed. This gift produces three principal effects in those who possess it. They are enabled to penetrate to the very core of revealed truths, without ever fully understanding their meaning; they are confirmed in their belief by acquiring great certitude in the revealed word of God; and they are brought to the knowledge of a greater number of truths by drawing numerous conclusions from revealed principles. (Fr. John Hardon, Modern Catholic Dictionary)

This was today's meditation in the 54 day rosary.

This gift always floors me. I love reading things written by people endowed with this gift and I'm always floored when it's at play in my own life.

It's a supernatural gift that works covertly. Telling us when something doesn't jive with Divine laws, His guidebook for salvation.

It's such kryptonite when we tune into it.

I've mastered it's practice in theology but sometimes struggle with realtime insights with people

I always feel it tapping me on the shoulder about a person, but can't hear the specifics.  Or sometimes I can and overrule it because I like the person or think God's work is lurking in the adventure.  I get the sense it the vibes of the Holy Spirit but my head is too much in the world to hear "something is wrong here, pay attention, dig deeper", "danger ahead!", "time to get out of Dodge" or "keep your hand on this plow".

I can always hear loud "I tried to tell you" when I'm standing in some pile of rubble!

Understanding is my most powerful gift and at the same time, my greatest challenge.


The meditations in this 54 day Novena are outstanding and so helpful in drawing upon the gifts.

I don't mean to sound sexist, but I'm not sure men are typically endowed with this gift, which is why so many priests can recite theology but can't seem to figure out its application.   This is our greatest contribution to the Church, family, community.

I'm wowed when I hear women saying the "role" of motherhood in the Church makes them feel inferior.

What is better than the role of an intercessor between God and His people?

We have direct access to know where the power of God.  Our role is in the miracle department of Christ's Church.  We bring the empty bottles of wine to Christ's attention and respond when our priests and bishop and pope wonder what business it is of theirs.

I can't believe my eyes when I see women sell this gift for getting their feet washed or some other trivial task.

Women are selling their gifts for pennies on the dollar.

I'm frustrated when ordained men undermine our role by reductio ad absurdum.  But even that insufferable nonsense is more tolerable than their inability to listen.

Usually when I write something about this, all my male friends will remind me they are equally endowed, which they are.  But that is because my gifts don't threaten their ego and I am not threatened by theirs.  But this is a huge  problem in the world of priests and bishops.

We've got to somehow get past this Rubicon.

Changes are possible.

For years in Boston We fought like cars and dogs with Chancery staff.  This is the main reason why we turned to blogs to free a parish from somebody or something that was harming them.

The last few times I reached out to them about something, I wouldn't exactly say they didn't try a few old tricks, but there was listening with far less defensive nonsense, errors acknowledged and real resolutions were promised.

The parable of the unjust judge can happen and will happen if we remain tenacious.

But we need a whole boatload of understanding.  Everywhere!




1 comment:

Michael Dowd said...

You are right Carol. Women are naturally better at emotional and spiritual understanding than men because they have to be more careful about what they do and say in order to get accomplish what they wish, e.g., Teresa of Avila vs. John of the Cross; Empress Theodora vs. Emperor Justinian. Keep up your good work. We are listening.