Thursday, July 16, 2009

First Trip to City Point in 2009

People use blogs for all kinds of things. Some are personal journals. Some are for the Gipper. Some are a little of both. I don't usually have the time to post personal stuff on my blog. But, tonight - to heck with what's going on in the world. Blah. Blah. I want to post about City Point.

I had some personal things happening after work that were in town and so I drove into work today. On my way home, I decided to swing by Castle Island. Usually, I'm there once a week, as soon as it opens in March. Stinky weather on weekends and a busy schedule, I can't believe that tonight was the first time I was able to get there in the 2009 season.

For out of towners, City Point/Castle Island is the location of a fort that has guarded Boston harbor for centuries. There's actually only one entrance into Boston Harbor and our forefathers erected a fort for centuries of centurions (Fort Independence). Irish immigrants would flock to City Point almost every evening from all over Boston. It's the one place to catch a breeze no matter how hot and muggy it is and the view (and salt air) is to die for. There's a small take-out joint (Sullivan's) that serves the best grilled food (and ice cream) in the City (and at reasonable prices).

I grabbed a hot dog and ice cream and sat in one of my usual places overlooking Logan airport and the fishing pier - at the corner of the fort under the American flag. I love the sound of the flag clapping above me in the wind knowing it's waving o'er the land of the free and the home of the brave for hundreds of years.

As far back as I can remember, I have memories of being at City Point with my grandparents, parents, aunts, uncles, cousins and my own children - and of course friends I grew up with in the City. I love the place not just for the beauty and history but for the memories I've made there in my life. It's one of those places where the I can feel the animus of all those people. People I loved, who have since died. One of those places where, all at the same time, you feel warmth, comfort and sadness because you miss the people.

Making memories with people, we leave a piece of it behind in those places forever, don't we?

Don't flit away a precious moment of this life.

It's too short.
It's too beautiful.

This is a youtube of another one of my favorite songs

These are days you'll remember.
Never before and never since, I promise,
will the whole world be warm as this.
And as you feel it, you'll know
it's true
that you
are blessed and lucky.
It's true
that you are
touched by something
that will grow and bloom
in you.

These are days you'll remember.
When May is rushing over you
with desire
to be part of the miracles you see
in every hour.
You'll know
it's true
that you are blessed and lucky.
It's true
that you
are touched by something
that will grow and bloom in you.

These are days.

These are the days you might fill with laughter until you break.
These days you might feel a shaft of light make its way across your face.
And when you do
then you'll know how it was meant to be.
See the signs and know their meaning.
It's true,
then you'll know how it was meant to be.
Hear the signs and know they're speaking to you,
to you.

No comments: